Saturday, July 28, 2007

I've looked at Knitting from Both Sides Now

So far, I've made two baby sweaters and I'm making an afghan with this one needle. It's metal, and it's circular. I hate it. The only good thing I can say about it is that it's easy to carry places. Other than that, it's been getting on my last nerve.
I can't knit with it for more than 2 hours at a time. If I try to, my left hand starts cramping. This has never happened to me with any other needle, but I've only ever used straight needles before this. Now, you might be saying, "Dude, it's because you've been knitting for 2 hours straight! Take a break and eat a sandwich or something, man. It's obvious that knitting too long is hazardous to your health!"
No, sir, you are mistaken. I've knit for 5 and 6 hours at a time without a hand cramp, but this is on straight needles, or dpns, which are essentially straight needles. I've finished a sock in one sitting before. No hand cramps. But every time I pick up this thing, after a couple hours of knitting my hand starts cramping. Sigh. I'll never finish this blanket in time. No, I probably will, but it will be at the expense of my hand. Why, oh why are we forced to make these painful decisions in life?
Also, as this afghan goes on, since it's circular it started out too small for the needle, and now that it's getting bigger, it's too big to fit well on the needle. They just aren't as usable as straight needles. If they made giant double point needles for afghans, I would totally use them instead of circulars. At least then I could finish things in a normal amount of time. I mean, jeez.

No comments: