Friday, October 12, 2007

Something Knitty This Way Comes

My friends are all having babies at the same time. There's a girl at school having one in about Feb-March, a friend at home having one in November, and another at home having one in about May or June. Good thing I like knitting baby stuff, eh?

Mom bought me some new baby yarn-aka Caron Simply Soft- so I can knit more baby sweaters. Simply Soft is good for babies because a. it's soft (duh), b. I don't think it's prone to pilling, c. it's washable in the washing machine and dryer, d. it's cheap (more knitting for the buck.) So I make all baby clothes in this.

The girl due in May or June is a goth, as is her husband, so I'm gonna have fun modifying popular baby patterns into goth patterns. I'm envisioning a black summer dress with pockets, with skulls on the pockets (and red bows on the skulls if it's a girl.) And a baby skull cap with a skull on it. Maybe some socks with cherries, or eyes, or something. I can be creative if I have a basic pattern to work with to start out.

I really prefer goth colors, so I love black and white, black and red, and black and purple, so I usually change the colors of the knitted objects to these anyway, and I love irony, so I'll make a really preppy pattern in punk or goth colors (see the cabled baby vest, in the book it was powder blue and white, and I changed it to neon blue and black.)

So what I started out saying was, I haven't done any knitting since the last post, but I'm going to have to start knitting more to keep up with deadlines, because more than anything else (except maybe weddings), baby knitting has unbreakable deadlines.

No comments: