Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hrrrrmmmmm...

I'm perplexed. The guage for the hoodie I'm making is supposed to be 19 stitches and 24 rows per 4 inches, and the guage I'm getting, with a needle 3 sizes smaller than recommended, is 19 1/2 stitches and 26 rows per 4 inches. I'm pretty sure I can't go down another needle size; it would be too small, but does that one half inch matter very much? I mean, it'll probably tighten as I go, right? And I want it a little big; I'm making it a size bigger anyway, so the 1/2 inch doesn't matter, does it? I think I'm gonna have to read up on this a little more. If it doesn't matter, then I'll start the hoodie today. If it does, then I'm gonna put it off, because the only needle I have in a size 4 are dpns. Yeah, I've gone from a size 8 to a size 5. Is it the yarn? Is it the way I knit? I just don't know.

EDIT: I just remeasured and got 21 stitches and 26 rows, so apparently I need size 6 needles. I might possibly try 7s again, but I'm pretty sure they're too big. Thank goodness I'm going home tomorrow, and can get some size 6s. Yes!

No comments: